Looking forward to summer BBQs with friends, tossing balls with your kids, or relaxing in the sun with a good book … but you’d like to refresh your yard first? Here are a few low-cost Saturday projects that can help you give your yard a quick facelift.
- Build or buy a storage shed to keep kids’ toys out of sight when not in use.
- Reposition your furniture and accessories to create defined cooking, eating, lounging, and play areas. You can even add a colorful outdoor rug to add warmth to your “party” area.
- Pour quarter-inch crushed rock (available in a variety of colors) to create defined pathways through your yard.
- Brighten your concrete patio by painting it with a masonry stain (try warm honey or deep brown). For a more labor-intensive option, lay slate tiles over the concrete with a thin-set mortar (like VersaBond).
- Add lanterns or candles to your patio for evening parties.
- Plant drought-tolerant foliage to fill patches of dirt. Kochia Scoparia grass is hardy and germinate quickly. It starts out green and turn red once the weather turns colder.
- Line your garden with rope lighting for night-time mood lighting.